Thursday, December 1, 2016

DO YOU REALLY WANNA SHOOT WITH ME?

actor/model: Art Stroman - @stro_sho
ph. Tarrice Love - @bytarricelove

I started doing photography because it gave me the opportunity to combine art and fashion together to make people see themselves and others  in a  new and different way. People reach out to me all the  time wanting to work with me...but they to lend the opportunity for creative freedom. They come through the door with rules and limitations. They want to create images that reflect how they see themselves. When working with fashion models, they want images that reinforce an idea that has been designed by their management teams. I end up recreating images they already have in their portfolio. The model and their management have a hard time filtering through photographers and trusting their vision. They are taking a risk every time  they step in front of a photographers lens...some of them are creepy and  don't necessarily have  the models best interest in mind. Its easier to play it safe and stick to the basics... you can't go wrong with basics.

actor/model: Art Stroman - @stro_sho
ph. Tarrice Love - @bytarricelove

Trust, it’s probably one of the hardest things to gain from a person. Giving control of your image to someone else and trusting that they will have your best interest in difficult. Digital photography advancements  have made it easier for anyone with access to a camera and  equipment to call themselves a photographer and harder to trust. The trust you have to have and give a photographer is really what it takes to make amazing photos.

 


actor/model: Art Stroman - @stro_sho
ph. Tarrice Love - @bytarricelove

I struggle with trying to give people what they say they want from me and  being creative. I moved to New York to create images that are timeless, classic, classy, and spark conversation. In this image congested world, I want you to remember you saw my work.

I was watching an interview with 90's waif supermodel Kristen McMenamy where she talked about when photographers had control and trusting them enough to give it her all for the picture. I am thankful and blessed to have worked with so many people who trust me and allow me to be an artist...even when it pushes them out of their comfort zone. When people step in front of my camera, one of my first thought is to make  the person feel comfortable, next I want them to trust my vision, and  once I have established a level of trust I want to create the best photo I have ever taken. I celebrate in every opportunity where I get to challenge myself and utilize my artistry to create an image I can't stop staring at.

No comments:

Post a Comment